Thursday, February 14, 2013

I Love My Master

So this morning I was reading
Psalm 42:8
The Lord WILL command His lovingkindness in the daytime; and His song WILL be with me in the night.
When I read this last month I was in a different place emotionally, spiritually and mentally. It seemed a bit far fetched. But I see how true God is to His word. Sitting this morning hungry for God's word in my life as I have each morning for the past month and a half I saw how God has re sparked my heart for Him.
For some reason I was thinking about slaves in the old testament and the guidelines God had established for all His people in the book of Exodus. Slavery in the Old Testament was a totally different slavery than a westerner would think so bear with me. A slave was usually serving for six years and it was over in the seventh year. However, at the end of the sixth year that slave had the option to choose to stay and commit himself to his master for the rest of his life as a bond servant.
Exodus 21:1-6
"Now these are the ordinances which you are to set before them: "If you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve for six years; but on the seventh he shall go out as a free man without payment.” If he comes alone, he shall go out alone; if he is the husband of a wife, then his wife shall go out with him.  "If his master gives him a wife, and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall belong to her master, and he shall go out alone. "But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife and my children; I will not go out as a free man,' then his master shall bring him to God, and then he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost. And his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him permanently. 

There were some who actually chose to stay! CRAZY, RIGHT?! But God spoke to my heart this morning something very simple and at the same time very eye opening:
This slave committed himself FOREVER to his master because he knew who his master was. Obviously, a person would not commit themselves to serving someone forever if their master were a harsh unreasonable man. This slave in Exodus who wanted to stay would be basing it off of a love for his master.
His master would then "Bring him before God" and pierce his ear at the doorpost.
The doorpost was the same place the blood of an unblemished lamb was spread during passover.

Do I love my Master Jesus Christ? Are my ears opened (pierced) so that I can hear Him? Do I obey and serve Him out of love? Will I? Or is it just duty? I realize the only way I can obey God is because of Jesus, who went before me and obeyed His Father. The only way I think this is possible is because of KNOWING GOD. KNOWING who He is, His character. If I find it very hard to obey God, somewhere along the way I have forgotten who my Master is and what He is like. In those times I need to look back to that doorpost and remember the blood. The perfect blood of the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world that was shed for me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sara.

    Great post! I stumbled across it while preparing to speak on this topic at our church (Australia). It seems fewer and fewer Christians are embracing the word on slavehood and joining the sufferings of Christ. There are some great resources you can have a look at on our website (www.visionone.org.au) around these subjects, or feel free to shoot me an email nsmith@tcf.asn.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Sara-

    This is a hard thing to explain to the world, even Christians have a hard time with this concept. But when one grasps it - It is the most astounding decision a person can make with his/her life. From that moment on, the reality of the provision and care provided by the Master is perfect and satisfying. So thankful to have a Perfect, Just, Loving Master! My 'payheck' ALWAYS outweigh any service I give. I must consider that it's BECAUSE of the 'bread' He puts on my table is actually the only source of energy that enables me to even do the very work that earns that 'paycheck'. I so recognize that it truly ALL comes from the GOOD MASTER! Thankful to the 10th degree! Keep encouraging! Love you

    ReplyDelete