Thursday, February 14, 2013

If you're suffering and you know it clap your hands


Yes that is to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands." Sorry but that is just how my mind works (and I don't even have kids yet)
At any point in your journey have you known God was calling you to suffer and did you fight   it kicking and screaming? because I realize I have been. I imagine I am not alone in this.
This morning the Holy Spirit brought to mind Paul and his conversion from Saul. In Acts 9:15 God tells Ananias "Go (to Paul), for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel; for I will SHOW him HOW MUCH he MUST suffer for My name's sake."
Do you want God to work in and through your life??? Do you want to be able to encourage and strengthen the souls of others who love Jesus? Do you want people to come to know Jesus as their Savior?
Suffering is required.
In Acts 14:22 Paul strengthened he souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith saying, "through MANY tribulations we MUST enter the kingdom of God."
If you read from the beginning of Acts 14 you'll see that Paul flees one city when he finds out they are about to stone him to death for the message he was preaching. When he moves along and preaches, it seems as though the people are so receptive to the gospel but then the Jews get them all worked up so that they actually stone Paul and take him outside of their city thinking he is DEAD (v:19-20).
Maybe this was when God gave Paul the vision where Paul was sent a messenger to torment him and he asked God to take it away three times but God said "No, My grace will be enough for you, because My strength is perfected in weaknesses." (2 Corinthians 12:1-10) I am unsure.. What I do know is that Paul, after being stoned to death nearly that he got right back up and went straight back into the city and preached and that is when he encouraged the other disciples and told them that through MANY tribulations we MUST enter the kingdom of God.
I found it interesting that Paul tried to avoid suffering for Christ in one city, went to the next and suffered tremendously, but how the Lord obviously strengthened him and equipped him with the grace he needed to not only GET THROUGH it but also to PRAISE HIM in the midst of it and be used by God to encourage others.
No matter what you are going through, it is not a mistake. God allows things. Yes, even suffering. But He will help you and strengthen you through it. Hold fast to him.
Love, Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment